Society

“Things are going to get worse”

“The U.S likely won’t see the lockdowns that plagued the nation last year despite surging infections, but “things are going to get worse,” Dr. Anthony Fauci warned on Sunday.

On Friday, there were reported 21,683 confirmed new cases of COVID-19 the most infections in a single day since the start of the pandemic, according to data released Saturday from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Over the past week, Florida has seen a 50% increase in new cases, reporting a whopping 110,477 cases from July 23 to July 29, according to the Florida Department of Health. “This month(July), Florida was one of the four states that included 40% of the country’s total infections of the virus. During that time, the Sunshine State recorded one out of of every 5 of the nation’s new cases”, said White House COVID-19 coordinator Jeff Zients. “There is no higher risk area in the United States than we’re seeing here,” Florida International University infectious disease expert Dr. Aileen Marty told CBS Miami. “The numbers that we’re seeing are unbelievable, just unbelievably frightening.”

Unfortunately, even on Wednesday, 8,816 Florida residents were hospitalized from COVID-19 related complications, and more than 95% of those were fully vaccinated, according to the FHA. The patients, on average, also were younger than other people during the previous peaks of the pandemic. “What you heard last year and last spring about this virus mostly targeting seniors and those with preexisting conditions is not true today,” FHA president and CEO Mary C. Mayhew said in a statement.

The COVID-19 vaccines are saving lives, and half of the people who are unvaccinated are in a much bigger risk of getting in contact with them. They are reducing mortality rates in the U.S, and even globally. The vaccines are essential if we want to end the pandemic here, as the government does not have the rights/power to tell that in order for kids to go to school, they are required to wear a mask all day, every day. Approximately 61% of the population in Florida are vaccinated, which still leaves 39% of Florida’s population being unvaccinated.

Categories: Society